About Festivals International
Festivals International has been creating events for over a decade. It is based out of Clear Lake, Iowa and is operated by Gregory and Bonnie Schmidt.
About Gregory Schmidt
Greg is a native of Iowa and has earned recognition as a documentary film and video producer. He is also a two-time recipient of the Individual Artist Grant award from the Iowa Arts Council. As a health researcher and motivational speaker, he has published his first audiobook Your Life - Beyond 2000. Greg is currently developing an Iowa Opera House Network and will be appearing in a one-person play on "Billy Sunday".
About Bonnie Schmidt
Bonnie serves as co-producer of many of Festivals International's activities including the International May Festival. She studies the medicinal properties of herbs and spices and essential oils and works with a Nutritionist/Herbalist.
Festivals International Timeline:
- 1992 Festivals International forms.
- 1992 The first Iowa Renaissance Festival is held at the North Iowa Fairgrounds in Mason City.
- 1993 Iowa Renaissance Festival moves to the State Fairgrounds in Des Moines.
- 1994 International May Festival begins in Des Moines.
- 1998 International May Festival moves to Clear Lake.
- 2000 Iowa Renaissance Festival moves to Middle Amana Park in the heart of Iowa County.
- 2000 Midwest Millennium Festival produced near Chicago.
- 2001 The first Fiesta Cerro Gordo "Mother's Day Gift Mart" is scheduled in Mason City, Iowa.
- 2003 Nebraska Renaissance Faire begins in Ashland, Nebraska.
- 2004 Des Moines Renaissance Faire begins in Des Moines with Spring and Fall events.
- 2005 Nebraska Ren Faire moves to Omaha. Four Kingdoms Ren Fest begins in Rock Island, Illinois. Construction beings on Festival Park in Des Moines, future home of Iowa's first permanent renaissance festival.
- 2006 Festival Park construction, Phase 1, completed. The Des Moines Ren Faire opens the first three weekends in September. The Iowa Pumpkin Festival is held there in October.
- 2007 Lincolnshire Ren Faire beings in Decatur, Illinois. Nebraska Renaissance Faire moves to a new home at the Bellevue Berry Farm and Pumpkin Ranch near Omaha, Nebraska.
- 2008 Midlands Pirate Festival begins near Omaha, Nebraska.
- 2010 Festival Park, home of the Des Moines Renaissance Faire, turns five years old.
- 2015 Midlands Pirates Festival moves to a new location in Omaha, Nebraska.
- 2016 Nebraska Renaissance Faire joins the Midlands Pirate Festival at the same new location for a new "double festival" event.
Other events coordinated by Festivals International have included two years with the San Antonio Spring Renaissance Faire and a year with the Indiana Renaissance Faire.